Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It's for you...

In the old thriller films, the camera zoomed in on a bulky black telephone bathed in a slice of light.

BRRRRRRNNNG!!!

It’d make you jump, even squirm a little in your seat. Was it the killer calling?

BRRRRRRNNNG!!!

No one would answer.

Today’s equivalent is the ring tone.

As if that hook from the new Beyonce song wasn’t annoying enough: Now I get it clanging around in my head, thanks to a colleague’s cellphone.

I suppose someone soon is going to write a book about cellphone etiquette, but will anyone read it? Will they have time? Or will they call someone and ask whether THEY’VE read it?

If I can hear the conversation, am I violating anyone’s privacy by repeating it? What if I summon the waiter and repeat the story to him? What if I go over and offer the offender some advice? “Don’t take that crap from her. Tell her who’s boss. You won’t be picking up the veal tonight. You have better things to do.”

I’ve got it: How ‘bout I whip out MY phone, call a friend, and repeat the person’s story to them, word for word? I could then suggest a conference call. We are the world.

1 comment:

  1. I suggest carrying a small digital audio recorder, turning it on and pointing it at the offender. It's perfectly legal and, I assume, would rattle the crap out of most of them.

    Good luck with the blog JD, and thanks for the plug.

    ReplyDelete